Sunday, June 10, 2012

Nada Mucho (in Russian)

I forgot to wear my pedometer today.

Today was a fairly chill day as Moscow days go.  After yesterday’s beautiful, sunny, not-too-hot-not-too-cold, perfect tourist weather, it rained all day today, so it was a good day for doing a little grocery shopping and generally staying inside.  I did go to Starbucks this morning for some quality internet time, where I was kind enough to assist an American family in ordering their coffee (seriously, I’ve got this Russia thing!).  Then I read read read read read for most of the day until meeting up with JT in the evening to go see a production of Женитьба (Marriage) by Гогол (Gogol) playing at the Ленком (Lenkom) Theatre.  I had looked up a plot synopsis, but that was all the background I had on the play, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it.  It was a very energetic and engaging production with a lot of creativity in the staging.  The Hilberry (the grad theatre at Wayne State) will be doing that show in the coming season, so I kept trying to cast it out of the company.  I’ll look forward to seeing how it all shakes out, especially since JT tells me that this play can often be a real snooze.  So here’s a big challenge to JT (who’ll be directing it) and the Hilberry company: I had a great time at this play… I hope I can say the same again soon!

After the show we had a very pleasant evening of sitting in the kitchen swapping stories about nothing in particular, and then I turned in for the night.  Of course, there is a mosquito in my room that I am finding it difficult to kill… which means I’m going to wake up all itchy.  Damnit.  But hey… itchy in Moscow beats itchy in Detroit!

No comments:

Post a Comment