Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Matchmaker, Matchmaker...


Number of Steps: 15439 (4.87 mi)

More goodbyes today.  Ugh – this last week is way too emotional.  I started out the morning by purchasing some overpriced flowers in an underground flower shop on the way to class… so that was a weird way to start the day.  From there it got a little more normal.  We had our last ballet class, which made me want to set things on fire slightly less than usual, so I count that as a win.

Our elegant ballet teacher Ренат, humoring us.
Next up was our final singing class, which was some of the most fun I’ve had here.  For the last two weeks our singing classes have been split up – 6 and 6 – which means that we haven’t been hearing everyone progress throughout the month.  So it was a real treat to hear everyone today.  Several people made me cry.  Everyone made me proud.  It was a really fun way to spend an hour and a half.  And our teacher Marina is one of the most marvelous people ever in the history of the world.  Last year she told me that she wished I could study with her.  This year, she has gone even farther in reminding me how important singing is to me.  It’s such a great release.  I really need to give myself the gift of voice lessons while I’m trying to write my dissertation.  I think it’ll give me hope during the inevitable dark times.

With the magical Марина after our final singing class.  She told me no one comes to Moscow twice - I must come three times.
Then it was another day in acting with exercises and etudes – but the big event of the day was that we got to go see a show starring our assistant acting teacher Илья (who is about 25 years old).  It was this crazy Russian musical or something about a matchmaker and young lovers and some guy with jowls… very silly, very energetic, a really fun evening. 

Back at the dorm I picked up some vodka shaped souvenirs and then we hung out for a little bit with some of the NIU students.   Then I turned into a pumpkin.  So… our last Wednesday is in the can!

No comments:

Post a Comment