Sunday, June 9, 2013

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... Я Чайка!

Today started out with a little skype back to home base in Ypsi… for which I am so very homesick!  But I got to skype with both Brian and Chloe, so it was a pretty good call.  Then the rest of the day was fairly low impact with a little headway being made on my conference paper (ever so little, but I’ll take what I can get).  Then… the big finish to our Chekhov-palooza weekend.  Yes, tonight we got to go see my favorite thing in the entire world – The Сатирикон’s production of Чайка (The Seagull).  It is four and a half hours (including the three intermissions), and it is the most exciting, breathtaking, inventive, heart-wrenching thing I have ever experienced ever.  I was enraptured the whole time, leaning forward in my seat, scribbling notes, weeping openly… I can’t believe how lucky I am to have seen this show at all, let alone THREE TIMES!  There were things that had changed, things that had been refined, things that had grown deeper… it was such a rewarding evening at the theatre!  I could hardly stop crying at the end of the show – and I think I started to see more glimpses of Dead Man’s Cell Phone (the show I’ll be directing in the fall) in this play, which gets me really excited to work on my script.  I do have my script with me, and I will work on it, but part of me feels like I’m not allowed to until I do my conference paper.  But still… I am starting to really feel the creative atmosphere of Moscow seep into me, and I can’t wait to unleash it on this script!

From our deliciously devastating evening we headed back to the dorm where I was able to do a quick skype with my parents before another etude meeting and some work for class tomorrow.  Really, all I want to do is to stay up all night writing my thoughts about the play… but that would be a little irresponsible.  So for now, I will post a photo… and I will think happy thoughts… and look through youtube for an idea for my second animal etude.

No comments:

Post a Comment