Saturday, April 4, 2015

Nephrology

Play #84 - Nephrology by Sara Ilyse Jacobson
It's Nate's first day on a new job, but Kate has been working here forever. In fact, her husband used to work with her until he died, so she's not particularly keen on a replacement so soon after her loss.
Oh...also... Nate and Kate are kidneys.
I think the idea behind the play is sort of cute and novel, but the execution isn't great. It rushes itself, it doesn't take advantage enough of the built in jokes for a pair of kidneys. I would have liked to see it lean into the skid a bit more...really own the whole "these are personified organs" thing. More discussion of where Nate is from? How he got here? And what about the person? If he were still an unapologetic drinker, he probably wouldn't have gotten the new kidney in the first place. It's a good idea, but it just fell short in too many places. I sort of want to rewrite it... flesh it out... make it into what it wishes it could have been. But I have to admit, I don't think I'm quite that interested in kidneys.

No comments:

Post a Comment